Sunday, May 17, 2015

Healing Wounds Naturally On The Homestead

I always keep a jar of Comfrey oil on hand in our house, for wounds. It is one of the most powerful herbal remedies I have ever used/made. Comfrey is also called "Knit Flesh". Get it? It helps skin and other tissue including muscle, to grow back together quickly. I have been using in my home on little issues we humans have like cuts or something you didn't need to go to a Dr. for. Then we got a puppy. The dog being a playful puppy, got ahold of a loose chicken one day and gave her a slice down the back (all skin was off and muscle tissue was all that you could see). I was sure it would kill her. I didn't want to loose her, so I decided to try the comfrey oil and lay the skin in place where I could tell it went. Some muscle was still exposed under her wings and on her lower back. I soaked the girl completely and we made her a nesting box with food and water in our little brooding cage. I said to the children we should say a prayer for her and hope for the best. I really didn't expect her to make it. So we left her alone, you could tell she was in shock, and just daily brought her food and water. It was earlier in spring do new green grasses were coming up, so we gave her those as well. I checked on her in a week and the skin had grown back almost completely with very little muscle still showing. I poured the rest of the oil on her and checked back in another week. Viola! She was healed and only missing a few feathers after the second week check. We went ahead and left her in the brooder cage another week so she would be as good as new when we reintroduced her to the flock. I was so shocked I snapped a picture at the second week check so you can see for yourself exactly how good she looked, only missing a few feathers. She had almost no skin on her back at all! The kids were even very shocked. Of course the praying was just as important. I hope you may be able to plant and keep Comfrey on your homestead. It really helps for wounds when you don't have a vet around.
To make Comfrey Oil, simply gather from your plant or used dried herb. Fill a pint jar full of fresh herb or half full of dried herb. *Do not wash herb before using in oil, because you will introduce bacteria into the oil. You may want to add some Ginger for pain and Tumeric for calming immflamation. Cover completely with Organic Olive Oil and let sit in a crock pot with water half way up the jar. Simmer on low or keep warm for 48hrs. The oil needs to sit for about 48hrs to absorb all the healing properties from the Comfrey and any other herbs you added. *NO WATER can get into this oil or it will mold. It must remain oil only.  So when you pull out of the crock pot wipe jar completely. After that just strain out with a pillow case, sheet, or cheese clothe. Your oil can also be then turned into salves or used straight. This is an awesome skin oil that can be used for cuts, scrapes, bruises, and burns. Hope you found this helpful.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment